Out of the Darkness Wellness Challenge
Start: Monday, August 3, 2020
End: Sunday, September 13, 2020
Entry Fee: FREE
Welcome! Thank you for joining us for the Out of the Darkness Wellness Challenge! If you have not yet registered for an upcoming Out of the Darkness Experience, please be sure to get started by registering today.
We know the importance of building community while taking action for mental health and suicide prevention, which is why we've partnered with Kilter Rewards to kickoff our event season with an activity-tracking challenge.
The challenge will run for 6 weeks, starting Monday, August 3rd and ending Sunday, September 12th. During this time, you will take an action each day to show your support of the cause while earning points for completing activities that benefit your overall health and wellbeing, raise awareness for suicide prevention, and let others know you care.
HOW TO JOIN:
1) REGISTER FOR AN OUT OF THE DARKNESS EXPERIENCE AT AFSP.ORG/FIGHTSUICIDE
2) DOWNLOAD THE KILTER REWARDS APP
3) CHOOSE JOIN EVENT
4) CHOOSE THE AFSP OUT OF THE DARKNESS WELLNESS CHALLENGE
5) CHOOSE YOUR AFSP DIVISION TEAM OR SELECT INDIVIDUALS (NO AFSP DIVISION TEAM) AND YOU'RE IN!
JOIN AN AFSP DIVISION TEAM:
The American Foundation for Suicide Prevention is powered by volunteer-led chapters in all 50 states. Every chapter belongs to one of five regional Divisions - Northeastern, East Central, Central, Southern, and Western. Each week throughout the challenge, we'll highlight different staff, chapters, volunteers, and participants from each Division. Show support of your local communities by joining one of our Division Teams!
Learn more about each team by clicking a link below:
- AFSP East Central Division
- AFSP Central Division
- AFSP Northeastern Division
- AFSP Southern Division
- AFSP Western Division
Note: The wellness challenge is independent of your Out of the Darkness event, and your affiliation with a Division team will not impact your event registration or team status. You are not required to join a Division Team to participate in the wellness challenge, but we do recommend joining the Division Team that corresponds to the Out of the Darkness event you've registered for to enhance your experience. If you'd prefer to participate without a Division affiliate, select Individuals (No AFSP Division Team) when signing up for the challenge in the Kilter app.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
During the event, complete daily wellness and/or self-care activities to earn points for your personal score on the live event leaderboard (see Rules tab for info on what activities count). Share your activities on social media using the hashtag #OutoftheDarkness and #TogetherToFightSuicide.
ACTIVITIES CAN INCLUDE:
- Fitness activities like walking, running, biking, pilates, etc...
- Self-care activities like reading, writing, coloring, dancing, etc...
- Receiving donations to your Out of the Darkness fundraising page
- Mindful minutes including meditation, stretching, reflecting
- Checking in on someone and having a #RealConvo
The possibilities are limitless but the goal is simple: take at least one action a day that brings a sense of mindfulness to why mental health and suicide prevention are important to you.
HOW TO TRACK ACTIVITIES:
1) Connected Apps & Devices - visit your Profile and go to Connected Devices. Use Apple Health, Fitbit, Garmin, Strava, or Google FIt to seamlessly track your daily activities!
2) Manually Record Activities - click the (+) icon from your dashboard to open the Manual Entry form. Enter your activity of 30+ minutes within 48 hours of completing your activity to earn points. See here for more info.
If you have questions about an upcoming Out of the Darkness Experience, please contact the AFSP Out of the Darkness team at email@example.com.
If you have specific questions about the Kilter app, please reach out to the support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep an eye out for your chance to win great prizes along the way!
What daily activities contribute points?
- Activity: 30+ Minutes
- Run/Walk: 2+ Miles
- Swimming: 500+ Meters
- Biking: 5+ Miles
- Gym: 30+ Minutes
- Steps: 10k+ Steps
- Manual Entries: Record your activity within 48 hours to receive credit. Must be at least 30 minutes. See help flier.
100 points per activity
*limit one activity per day
Every 5 days in a row = +100 Points
Wednesday Go the Extra Mile Day = +25 Points!
Earn +25 point bonus for one of the following. Manual entries do not count for this bonus.
• 3 miles walking/running
• 60 minutes active time
• 7.5 miles biking
• 1000 meters swimming
• 60 minutes at the gym (Must check in twice. Check ins must be separated by 60 minutes)
*Go the extra mile bonuses supported only by distance or time tracked on a connected app or device.
*We value all feedback on our scoring system and are constantly working on ways to introduce more ways to earn points, while remaining in line with our mission to keep our events inclusive for all.